Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Alright, as much as I would like my first food post to be some amazing cake, or fancy recipe I think its best to do the name of the blog justice and share something well... Deliciously Simple. So, here we go.. I made this for dinner yesterday, Meatball marinara subs, with garlic and cheese french fries. Lets break it down, shall we?

Meatballs
  • 12oz Chorizo
  • 2lbs ground beef (80/20 is what I used)
  • 1 1/2 cups Bread crumbs (depends on how moist the mixture is)
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1 clove of garlic, grated
  • 2 Tblsp Italian seasoning
  • Tsp of salt 
Ok, before you start mixing these tasty bad boys let's start with prep work. First off, preheat your oven to 450 degrees. Next, to keep clean up easy line a baking dish with foil (trust me, its worth the extra step). Now, with clean hands mix all of the above together by hand.. Yes, you have to get a bit messy, but trust me it is a lot easier than trying to use a spoon. Plus, you can feel when the ingredients are well mixed.  Once all is mixed form into 2 inch balls, and place in the baking dish. Now scrub those hands nice and clean pop the meatballs in the oven. You will let them cook for 1 hour, turning them half way through.

While the meatballs are cooking lets start the Marinara. I made mine using some cans of tomato sauce and some other random ingredients I had in the cabinets, but to avoid throwing too many tasks at you with my first meal, Ill just recommend you use your favorite jar of marinara and Ill leave the homemade version for another day. Just pop the sauce in a pan and heat it just before serving.

Onward to the french fries! I used a large bag, because if you didn't notice with the amount of meat I used, I cook for a bunch.

 French Fries:
  • Large bag of frozen fries
  • 2 cloves of grated garlic
  • Garlic salt to taste
  • 1 cup shredded Italian cheese

 I prefer to cook my fries in the oven for a bit longer than the package tells you to, because this gives you the crunch we love with less of the oil. Just take a cookie sheet (I had to use 2) and spray with non stick cooking spray, scatter the fries on the pan and spray the fries with the cooking spray and pop em in the oven AFTER you have turned the meatballs. Now, while you have a minute, take a large mixing bowl and grate the garlic in to it and using a basting brush or your fingers rub the garlic around the bowl. After the fries have cooked for 15 minutes put them in the garlic bowl and toss well to coat, and put them back on the pan and in the oven for another 15 minutes or until desired crispy perfection. Once crispy, place back in bowl and toss with cheese.

On to buns! I used plain ol' hotdog buns, but I jazzed them up. This step is not necessary but so worth it. Depending on how many you will be feeding, just buy the buns accordingly. Here is what I used..

  • 1 package hotdog buns
  • 1/4 stick of butter
  • small clove grated garlic
  • 1 cup shredded Italian cheese
In a microwave safe dish grate the garlic and add the butter and melt. Split the buns and place split side up and brush with butter/garlic mixture. Toast the buns for 5 minutes, remove and sprinkle each with cheese and place back in oven for 2 more minutes or till cheese is melted.

If you can't tell by now, I looooove garlic. And in grated form, its hard to go wrong. When you grate the garlic you won't run into those big, over powering pieces and it gets the flavor even through the entire dish. Plus, in grated form, the garlic spreads or coats things much easier.

Alrighty guys and gals, by now we should have the meatballs out and resting, the french fries should be good and crunchy-fied, the marinara heated, and the buns toasted and ready to assemble. I cut the meatballs in half to better fit the buns, but its totally up to you on that one. Take a bun, and line 3 meatballs (or half's), spoon marinara over meatballs and sprinkle with more italian cheese, grab yourself some fries and devour!


Here is my finished product, I hope you enjoyed yourself. Thanks for reading.

       

No comments:

Post a Comment