Saturday, July 28, 2012

I did it!! My Marshmallow Fondant was a success, and to tell the truth it wasn't as hard as I expected, plus it was fun to play with (and tasty to snack on too...SUGAR HIGH!)

Here is the recipe:

Marshmallow Fondant
   
Ingredients
- 16-20 oz mini marshmallows
- 4 Tbsp water
- 1 tsp flavoring or extract (I used Watkins Clear vanilla)
- 4 c powdered sugar Sifted
- 1 c cornstarch for dusting
- shortening for kneading
- 1 gallon size bag or plastic wrap
- gel food color (to color fondant)
http://www.jrwatkins.com/jrwatkins/

Directions

1.   Put marshmallows, water and flavoring in a large microwaveable bowl and microwave on high for 2minutes stopping every 30 seconds to stir (very important to make sure and stir at the 30 second mark so you don't over cook it)

2.   Once all marshmallows are melted add sifted powdered sugar stirring constantly

3.   Once powdered sugar is mixed it, turn fondant dough out on a greased counter top. Grease your hands up real well and knead the dough until it is all smooth.

4.   Place dough in a gallon sized baggie dusted with cornstarch or some plastic wrap dusted with cornstarch and let rest for at least 2 hours or overnight for best results (I played it safe and left it over night)

5.   To soften the dough, work it with your hands. To prevent sticking use either shortening or corn starch to prepare working space. (I used corn starch for this part because I noticed the shortening made it too greasy)

6.   To tint the dough, knead in gel food color. Remaining dough can be kept well sealed in plastic in the freezer for up to a month.  (Don't use liquid coloring to color the fondant, it will make it too thin and sticky. I used the Wilton gels. Also, you might want to wear rubber gloves so you don't get coloring on your fingers.)
 

Trust me, when you first take it out of the refrigerator it looks and feels like a brick, but as you knead it, it will soften.  To make my life easier, I made all the colors I needed for my project before I began playing...Er, I mean working...
As you can see, it's a mermaid cake.. And it's easy to tell this was my first attempt at any kind of shaping anything (aside from playing with play dough as a kid, so needless to say this took me back.)

 The sand is just crushed up graham crackers, and for the happy birthday sign I just rolled out some of the fondant and cut it into a square, then used some frosting in a piping bag to write with and added the pink sugar over it while it was still wet to jazz it up a bit.





When I frosted the cake I left this corner unfrosted and added the cracker crumbs to the white part then frosted the rest blue, pushing the blue up onto the "sand" to make it look like waves. (Also, a happy lil fondant fishy peeking out to say hello).. I added sugars on the mermaid fin and in the water to make it pop a bit, did I ever mention I LOVE the colored sugars??



And here is my finished cake! Hope you all enjoy the pics and now have the courage to make your own fondant.. And, by the way... Happy Birthday Morgan!! <3

No comments:

Post a Comment